Our MissionThe mission of the King County Library System is to provide free, open and equal access to ideas and information to all members of the community.
Principles of Service
- Provide open, non-judgmental access to collections and services without regard to race, citizenship, age, educational level, economic status, religion, or any other qualification or condition.
- Provide free access to, and promote the communication of, ideas and information.
- Advocate and support First Amendment rights and the Library Bill of Rights, and protect library materials from censorship.
- Create an environment which encourages users to encounter the rich diversity of concepts on which a democratic society depends.
- Provide collections and services to meet community needs and interests.
- Promote the King County Library System and the awareness and use of library resources, services and programs.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with other libraries and with cultural, educational, social and informational agencies.
- Attract and develop a high-quality staff with special skills, knowledge and abilities to help library users. Create an environment which motivates staff to achieve high levels of performance and productivity.
- Exercise prudence in the utilization of human, financial and physical resources.
- Utilize appropriate technologies to maintain and improve library operations and services.
- Provide and maintain appropriate facilities.