At the heart of all services provided by
the King County Library System are certain fundamental values. They are beliefs
that unite us and goals that inspire us. Our firm belief that libraries make
a difference in people's lives is complemented by the library system's mission
to provide free, open and equal access to ideas and information for all members
of the community.
The way these core values find expression evolves over time. But the values themselves remain constant. In times of change and challenge, and in pursuit of our mission, we affirm these values.
We value fair and equal access to information by...
- Providing access for all regardless of qualifications
- Ensuring confidential use of the library and a right to privacy
- Providing diversity in materials and programs that encourage discovery, enhance personal development, support educational and cultural programs and contribute to recreational activities
We value outstanding public service and strive to...
- Recognize our unique role and responsibilities to act in the public interest
- Emphasize the importance of diversity among our customers and staff provide numerous gateways to information
- Offer new technologies for learning opportunities
- Respond to our customers with information, integrity, courtesy and urgency
- Encourage our staff members to be active in their communities
We value the involvement of our public, our customers by...
- Recognizing that it is for them that we provide service
- Welcoming comments and responding with honesty and respect seeking opinions on policies and services encouraging links to communities through local library advisory boards, Friends of the Library groups, volunteers and coalitions
- Working together to make a positive contribution to libraries and in society
We value the people who work with us and for us, and we...
- Attract, develop, reward and retain an outstanding staff
- Treat each other with respect, dignity, fairness and equality
- Create an environment of teamwork, participation and creativity
- Support initiative, diversity and openness to new ideas
- Encourage imagination, vision and humor
- Show respect for our colleagues and their commitment to the highest standards of quality and professionalism
- Develop opportunities for attaining professional and personal goals celebrate our achievements
- Ensure open and honest communication throughout the System