Databases - Can't get in from home?
The following have been at the root of past access problems:
Vendor technical problems
Database vendor servers occasionally go down for short periods. In such cases, wait several minutes before attempting access again. Scheduled downtimes (ie for maintenance) are typically noted in database descriptions.
Firewall software may interfere with the login/authentication that allows access to KCLS databases. The most common sign that firewall settings are at fault is the appearance of a database login/password page after a library card number has been successfully submitted.
You should not have to disable your firewall. Rather, enable URL referring and/or add database base URLs to your firewall's list of approved websites. See Database URLs for Firewall Software for a list of URLs associated with each database.
- Norton 2003 and 2004 users should follow their
- Norton 2005 users should follow
- Norton 2006 users should follow
- ZoneAlarm Pro users should follow
Network firewall users should contact your network administrator.
ProQuest Technical Support Firewall and Browser Configuration Instructions for all ProQuest products (including HeritageQuest and eLibrary).
Bookmarks and favorites
Several KCLS databases will not work with bookmarks or favorites. In these
cases access the database-in-question via a KCLS webpage link (ie databases.kcls.org)
or the KCLS catalog (catalog.kcls.org).
Your web browser
KCLS databases are compatible with current versions of Internet Explorer (6.0+) for Windows and Safari (2.0+) for Macintosh. Most are also compatible with recent versions of Firefox (1.5) and Opera (8.0+). It is recommended that you do not use the America Online Browser.
Your web browser settings
- Security settings: Many of our databases are inaccessible when security settings are at their highest - check your web browser’s status under Internet Options or Preferences.
- Cookies: Your browser must accept cookies to successfully access KCLS databases - check your web browser’s status under Internet Options or Preferences.
Too many users at once
A handful of KCLS databases have limits on simultaneous users. In such cases you'll see an error page indicating the limitation. Your delay in access should be short-lived - wait a few minutes and try again.
None of the above
If your problems persist, please contact KCLS Answer Line and have the following information ready:
Return to top
- The database you are unable to access.
- Whether or not you are able to access another database.
- The web browser and version you are using (ie Internet Explorer 6.0).
- The Operating System you are using (ie MacOS 9, Windows XP).
- Any error message you see.
Last Updated: November 5, 2010