Des Moines Library
Local Library Groups
Friends of the Des Moines Library is a nonprofit organization comprised of citizens committed to supporting library services. Download a membership form hereFriends
- Provide a link to the community
- Increase awareness of the library's functions and needs
- Offer valuable input to its operations
- Provide activities and items not funded by the regular budget
To join Friends of the Des Moines Library, call 206-824-6066, or come to the
library and ask for a membership form. Membership forms can also be downloaded here
The Library Board advises the City Council and the King County Library System on the planning, promotion, construction, and development of public library facilities and programs. Members, appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council, serve without compensation for a 3-year term. No member can serve more than two consecutive terms. Learn more
Meetings are held the fourth Thursday, 7pm, alternating between Des Moines and Woodmont libraries.
Messages may be left for all Library Board members at (206) 878-4595 (City Hall). Learn more
Want to volunteer at the library?
The Des Moines Library frequently has volunteer opportunities available for teens and adults! We welcome people who want to volunteer their time and services to help the library deliver quality materials and services to the public. Volunteers perform a variety of tasks at the Des Moines Library. Some of these tasks include:
- Adopting a shelf to make sure library materials are orderly and in good repair,
- Pulling materials that have been put on "hold" by patrons at other KCLS libraries,
- Shelving "hold" materials that have been reserved by Des Moines Library patrons,
- Helping students as a tutor in the Study Zone,
- Teaching patrons how to use personal computers as a Tech Tutor, and
- Assisting librarians and staff members with special projects or programs.
Last Updated: October 4, 2012