Global Reading Challenge
Each year, King County Library System (KCLS) and local public school districts encourage students at all reading levels to engage in teamwork while reading some of the best in children's literature during the Global Reading Challenge.
How it works
KCLS children's librarians choose 10 titles suited to young readers' interests.
Teams of 4th and 5th graders across the county challenge other schools to answer questions about the selected books.
- Promote the love of reading and have fun
- Foster teamwork among students with diverse reading skills
- Promote the use of public libraries as neighborhood and community resource centers
- Introduce children to a wide variety of literature and multicultural reading materials
- Provide a recreational outlet for readers
- Encourage children to read for retention
- Provide positive experiences between children, librarians, teachers, and parents
- Form partnerships with local schools and to strengthen community ties
- Build confidence and integrity in young readers
- Participate in a public library activity that promotes reading as a pleasurable lifelong experience
*adapted with permission from Seattle Public Library.
2013-2014 Global Reading Challenge Booklist
2014 Challenge Schedule
Schools may need to arrange transportation to challenges. Check with your school librarian.
January 21 - February 7, 2014
February 18 to February 28, 2014
March 3 to March 14, 2014
Friday March 21, 2014 at 7pm at the Bellevue Library