Richmond Beach Library
History of the Richmond Beach Library
The Richmond Beach Library Association was formed in 1899, with $22 in donations and 194 discarded books from the Seattle Public Library.
The books were stored in the grocery store of the Holloway Hotel on 195th street, and as the collection grew to 500 by 1904, it was moved to an empty room at the Richmond Beach School building, and then to Mrs. Windells’ store back on 195th street.
In 1911 the first library building was constructed by the community at 2402 NW 195th place; the doors opened in 1912. The library joined the King County Library System in 1943, and the building was extensively remodeled in 1962.
The new 5,250 square foot library building opened June 1st 2001 and is located in the southeast corner of Richmond Beach Center Park. It replaced our 1,300 square foot library 3 blocks away, built by the community in 1912 and remodeled in 1962.
Artwork for the library was purchased with funds from the Friends of the Richmond Beach Library and the King County Library System. The Friends raised money by selling engraved paver-tiles installed outside the meeting room doors. The artwork includes a conceptual hanging piece by Virginia Paquette and two bronze sculptures by Robert Cooke: a climbing frog and a raven with a book. Come visit our wonderful library!
February 2, 2009