Library Material Loan Periods & Overdue Fines
Here’s a guide to how long you can keep various items you have checked out. Please keep in mind that some materials may be available for use only in the library. For more information, please ask a library staff member.
- Books, audiocassettes, CDs, CD-ROMs, eAudio: 28 days; two 28-day renewals allowed.
- eBooks: 21 days
- “Books to grow on” kits: 28 days; two 28-day renewals allowed.
- Magazines & videos: 7 days, two 7-day renewals allowed.
- Media equipment: 1 day (in-library use).
- Feature films, feature-length documentaries, and DVD sets purchased before December 20, 2011: 7 days, two 7-day renewals allowed.
- Television seasons, educational series, and other DVD sets purchased after December 20, 2011: 28 days, two 28-day renewals allowed. Look for the 28-day label on the box.
- Additional or replacement copies of television or series titles already purchased before December 20, 2011: 7 days, two 7-day renewals allowed.
Here is a guide to the total number and types of items patrons can reserve (hold) or checkout using their KCLS library card:
- Holds: 25 items; Holds which are available for pick-up, but not yet checked out, count towards this limit.
- Checkouts: Maximum 100 items
- Special Materials: five (5) children’s holiday books (due to demand)
|Most Books, Records, Video Cassettes, DVDs, Audio Cassettes, Magazines, Compact Discs||10¢ per open day
(maximum fine per item per loan period $3.00)
|Most Media Equipment|| $5.00 per open day
Borrowing privileges will be suspended for cardholders with fines and charges totaling more than $10.00. If the account has not been sent to the collections agency, privileges will be restored when the balance totals $10.00 or less.
Items that are 28 days overdue will be set to lost status and a replacement cost will be charged to the cardholder's account.
Accounts with fines and charges totaling $25 or more will be mailed a bill notice.
If a balance of $25 or more remains on the account 30 days after the bill notice has been sent:
- the account will be turned over to a collections agency
- a non-refundable $5.00 fee will be charged to the cardholder's account
- borrowing privileges will be restored when the account balance is $0.00
Last Updated: December 19, 2012