White Center Library
White Center Library History
The White Center Library was started by members of the Mountain View School P.T.A. in 1943. It began with a collection of donated books which Nel Freeze loaned from her nearby home. The White Center Library Guild started at the same time and their first activity was to lobby for a community library. Their efforts were rewarded in 1946 when the White Center Branch of the King County Library System opened in a space under the fieldhouse steps. From there the library moved to a building on the east side of the park. (See picture above.)
The present White Center Library opened its doors in August of 1976 and was
most recently remodeled in 1991.
Last Updated: June 27, 2007